Saturday, July 10, 2010

A New Hobby!!!!

Over the last 4 weeks I've been taking a silversmithing class from Ria. It is something that I've always wanted to do, but could never find the time nor a teacher in my immediate area. I was at my local train station waiting to catch my ride to go into the city and found an ad posted on the wall giving classes. Since my boss was laying me off again for the summer, I thought it would be a perfect time for me to start classes.

Week 1: I learned how to saw into metal. Let me tell you, this can be a little dicey. I kept think I was going to cut my fingers while doing this, but I got lucky and didn't. Here's my first project.


It's very simple, but as they say, you have to learn the basics first.

Week 2: I learned how to solder metal at 1300 degrees. Very cool, I didn't burn my fingers off. I made this pendant for Mr. D which is a little too big.
He wants it turned into a key chain of some sort.

For the past 2 weeks I've been working on a ring for myself and I finally finished it Wednesday night. Let me tell you, it was so worth the work and the classes. Ria is an awesome teacher. Here's my ring. I am so very proud of this piece.

Karen took a picture of me wearing the ring but it's a little blurry Here it is anyway.


I also started a matching pendant to go with it, but I have to still set the pearl and polish it up.
I'm taking a few weeks off but hope to finish it soon.

In sewing news, I worked on Vogue 8379 last week.
I wanted this pattern for a very long time, but every time I went to JoAnns, they were sold out of my size. I don't know why I've never made a wrap dress before, but this baby is going in the TNT pile. That's right I said TNT (this is my 1st one for the pile). I love it, and can see more of these in my future. First off, once cut out, it only took about an hour and a half to sew this up. It took longer than I expected but that was because the original fabric that I had chosen went and ran on me when I started sewing. Another bad piece of fabric purchased at JoAnns. I'm so not happy about that. Oh well, back to my stash. I ended up picking a piece of fabric that I purchased from Fabric Warehouse about a year or so ago. Here's the front view back view. Please excuse the hair. Very bad hair day. It looked great when I left the house but once I left the house, oh well. I guess I'm going to have to start using hair spray with this heat. I'm not a big fan.

Over the 4th of July weekend I worked on BWOF 07/2008-117, the Marlene Dietrich Trouser.


The pattern calls for a more light weight fabric like linen, but I went for a cotton twill in a dark blue that I purchased at Walmart for my first pair. I did my muslin on Saturday and learned that I didn't have to add any length to the pants. Major plus for me. I'll start to use Burda patterns more often knowing that. I always have to add at least 2 to 4 inches on the Big 4 patterns. Sunday I cut my fabric out and started working on the pants. I finished them up on Monday. Here are some close-ups of the front, (Sorry for the wrinkles. Pictures were taken after wearing them all day.)


zipper insertion,and my first attempts at using the hook and eye closers that I purchased from Greenberg and Hammer back in November when I went for PR Day. There's nothing better than taking a hammer to a pair of pants if you've got issues on your mind. Once I figured out how to use them, it was smooth sailing. I like the look, and I makes my pants look a little more store bought. All in all, I like the way they turned out, and they are wearable. I really need to make pants more often instead of being scared. Now I need to work on a few PR reviews, I'm so behind with that. What are you working on this weekend. I'd like to start on Simplicity 2648. My fabric is cut. I just need to mark everything and start sewing.

I don't have any pictures yet, but I'm finishing up knitting my short sleeve sweater. The body is completely done and I have the shoulder seams sewn together. I also completed one sleeve during the week and am working on the other one now. I still haven't decided if I want to put the pockets on it yet. Oh well, decisions, decisions. I hope you all have a great weekend. Stay cool. Adelaide, if you read this post, I'm putting my package together for you this weekend for my donation.

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Everything looks great and congrats on your 1st burda pants and jewelry. Looking forward to your pendant.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

You have time for another hobby?? BTW thanks a million for the book. I love it. I can't draw worth squat but maybe I'll pick up a tip or two.

Lisette M said...

You have been very busy! I love everything you made in your jewelry class especially the ring, I have been looking at similar rings lately.The Vogue dress pattern is one of my favorites, I'm planning on making it in the short sleeve version now ( I used it for the 3/4 sleeve view) Pants look good! I always do well with Burda pants.

Robin said...

The pants turned out great - and so did V8379! I can't believe you hadn't made a wrap dress before. I agree, you should make more of those!

Clio said...

Wow - so many great projects in one post! Congrats on the Vogue TNT pattern! I've got this one in my stash too... perhaps I'll have to give it a try sooner rather than later.

Angela said...

OOoo.. what a fun new hobby! Look forward to seeing more stuff. I've been looking for that Vogue pattern as well... I'm still waiting for my size. Fantastic job on the pants!

Karen in VA said...

I think I have that Vogue pattern, will have to pull it out and find some fabric....need some TNT dress patterns....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin